The road not taken: What could have been.


I define myself primarily as a writer. It doesn't matter what I write about or for whom. What matters is, I work with words. I arrange them in a way that they (hopefully) create value. But I did not always plan on doing this for 48 hours a week.

Back in school, I loved animals and plants. I observed birds, wrote about exotic species and obsessively memorised the details of butterflies I hoped to spot. I entertained dreams of becoming an environmentalist or studying biodiversity, at the very least. The reason I didn't do it is really silly - I wasn't great at mathematics. And I was under the (perhaps erroneous) impression that it is impossible to get ahead in the science stream without a passion and an aptitude for numbers. I chose the safer route - I went for Arts. Languages and social sciences were my fortes. There was no way I could go wrong with that. And indeed, I didn't.

Yet when I saw LinkedIn's new hashtag #RoadNotTaken, the one regret that came to mind was the passion I sacrificed at the altar of practicality. There were many things I know now, that I wish someone had told me then. I wish someone had told me that you do not have to study journalism or writing or English, to be a good and even a professional writer. I wish I had known that subject matter expertise actually allows you more scope in writing, as it gives you in-depth knowledge of one area, rather than a shallow overview of many. I wish I had known that one did not have to excel at mathematics in order to study biology. I wish someone had alerted me about the fact that being a scientist was an excellent choice for my introverted personality. Above all, I wish I had had the courage to explore something beyond my obvious strengths.

However, the thing about the #RoadNotTaken is, you'll never know where it might have led. Maybe, aiming to be an environmentalist would have turned out to be a monumental mistake. Yet, I do believe that there are no mistakes in life. There are only choices and consequences. If you're fortunate enough to get an opportunity to take the #RoadNotTaken even after you've made a choice, I suggest you don't let it go. Because the 'what ifs' always return to haunt you, sometime or the other.

The other thing I want to emphasise on is the need to guide students better and make all kinds of practical job-related information available to them. They need much more than a cursory knowledge of the top three careers related to each stream - Arts, Science and Commerce. They need to know about salaries, long-term prospects and the trade-off in choosing one discipline over the other. They require access to well-informed career advisors and counsellors. And they need to be told that fear has no place in the quest for success and fulfilment. Then perhaps, there will be fewer #RoadsNotTaken.

Do you have a #RoadNotTaken story to share? I'd love to hear it.

This post was originally published at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141120110448-47567319--roadnottaken-what-could-have-been

Want to go to Paris? Click here.  

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully written - I could relate to this totally.

    PS: Am an introvert too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) You should try taking this test then: http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

      Delete
  2. I got ISFP as type, Assertive as variant, and Explorer as Role. Introverted came as 33% and assertive as 34%.. so, not much difference there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe only thing we have in common is introvert :D I got INTJ!

      Delete
  3. #RoadNotTaken hi i never thought i will end up reading what i was thinking today :-)
    I am a farmer & it took 8 long yrs to be here which i never thought. All those past 8 yrs i was working but not actually & now i am enjoying my work. If this would have happened long time back i could have escaped so farmers from suicide.
    Actually in the evening returning from my farm i was thinking about few things, luck or ......... i don't know i ended up reading in your blog.
    The most messed-up generation ever? & this one.
    We cant blame any one right we have to take the responsibility for being-the most messed-up generation ever & #RoadNotTaken:-)
    Though so much to express but.......
    Nice blog & thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely story! So many city people secretly wish to embrace the rural life but you've actually gone ahead and done it. Kudos to you. :) I'm so glad you shared your story. Thanks a lot for reading.

      Delete